Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Around the horn...what we want to learn / talk about
- Interested in more of the fundamentals for citizen involvement and collaborative, participatory democracy
- San Fransisco Mayor: citizenville
- Honolulu answers - now redeployed in Oakland as Oakland Answers
- initiatives like this are changing the mindset of IT in city government
New roles and initiatives in government
- Chicago, IL - Chief Data Officer
- SF - Chief Innovation Officer (usually involves data)
- Boston, MA - Director of new urban initiatives
- San Jose, CA - Social innovation contest
- Cary, NC - Technology task force
- Raleigh, NC - Open data program manager
- California starting a competition at the community colleges that will roll up to a state-wide competition
One of the keys to adoption: process of starting with ideation instead of technology
City of Houston - hackathon, gave them 8 different datasets
Sunlight Foundation - non-profit, focused on transparency, as technology changes, they created Sunlight Labs
this all comes down to change | http://sunlightfoundation.com/
Libraries with no books? Converting them into co-working spaces. Instead of going to seek information, you go and create information.
Questions: What are some strategies to changing the mentality in IT?
- cloudcamp london
- change agent work within government -- finding a critical mass of champions
- IT consolidation, cultural change of everyone not "owning" their own stuff (websites, security, etc.)
- the need for contract and procurement people to think differently about open source
- brown bag lunches
- 1/2 day workshops
- Spike in London, using ICT for development