Influencing CEOs, Becoming CEOsEdit
Participants provided inputs based on the following questions:
What is a leader?
- A leader is able to make people feel like they belong to a group and motivate the group members to act together.
- Someone that others respect and look to for guidance. Someone who is trusted.
- A person who is capable of having and communicating a vision, and attracting others to help create the vision
- A visionary tasked with making directional changes and who ideally takes responsibility for those choices
- One who is able to motivate others to make progress against a shared vision or mission
- One who polarizes people to certain action
- One who provides a guiding ideology
- A leader defines culture and helps to motivate others to build in accordance with that culture
- Long and short-term vision / plans
- Ability to make tough decisions & sacrifices for best of whole
- Ability to get people pulling in the same direction
- Leaders inspire and motivate action
- Someone who inspires others to follow them
What is an executive?
- Someone who enacts / executes on decisions
- Executives have omain-specific power and responsibility
- Command & control (even if illusory)
- Upper level management
- Works on bigger scale projects
- A leader charged with executing to achieve the company's mission
- One who is intimately involved in the guidance, oversight, and direction of business activities
- One who provides leadership to the company
- One who listens to stakeholders
- An executive is someone with operational decision-making capability / empowerment
- An implementer of those decisions both with and without responsibility for them
- A leader that has been recognized by the organization as being of high value / impact
- No idea. Someone in a suit and a corporate car. I tend to think of them as out of touch.
- I don't have a good answer for this one.
What is blocking me in my journey of growth as a leader?
- Past: Personal disagreement with select superiors
- Present: Time and financial resources when deparing said superiors
- The number of hours in a day
- Limited resources (budget, human, etc.)
- Understanding how to define and build the appropriate culture
- Building rapport and goodwill
- No openings
- No process for training and development
- Company not as focused on training staff to move -- but bring in more outside talent
- Still working on my own self-development
- Persuasion skills
- Lack of experience and knowledge
- Communication skills
- Getting across my vision
- Changing roles and copanies to grow, but not being able to get hired into the next highest rung. At my firm, the jump to "Director" and higher is significant
- Self-effacement? What makes me qualified? I feel like a fraud. The closest I get to feeling like an effective leader is that I sometimes have insights about direction that others don't seem to have.
- I want to lead an organization I didn't create
Concepts that triggered further discussion